By Lisa Helminiak
April 2, 2016
Design thinking, what’s that? Your crash course starts here.
Azul Seven, in collaboration with the University of Minnesota’s College of Design, founded the d.t. collective a year ago to further innovation through the practice of human centered design and design thinking. Our goal is to meet with other design thinking practitioners to learn from each other, share best practices, and uncover resources.
One of the great things to come from our meet ups has been a growing list of books, videos, articles and publications on human-centered design that we have found to be the core to learning methods and framework surrounding design thinking.
We thought we’d share the list and solicit feedback on other resources you might know and find useful. The University of Minnesota is putting together a library of these resources, so your input can help them source the best materials. Many of these are on the Stanford d.school list, but we’ve added others we can’t live without. Let us know what you find useful. Please email hello@http://azulseven.com/ with any further suggestions.
Thanks for your input!
- The Art of Innovation, by Tom Kelley
- Change by Design, by Tim Brown
- VIDEO: 60 Minutes: Design Thinking, 2013
- VIDEO: Design Thinking Process Example, IDEO’s Sopping Cart Redesign ABC Nightline
Design In Your Company
- The Design of Business: Why Design Thinking is the Next Competitive Advantage, by Roger Martin
- Designing for Growth: A Design Thinking Tool Kit for Managers (Columbia Business School Publishing), by Jeanne Liedtka and Tim Olgilvie
- Rotman on Design: The Best of Design Thinking from Rotman Magazine, by Roger Martin and Karen Christensen
- Business Model Generation: A Handbook for Visionaries, Game Changers and Challengers, by Alexander Osterwalder and Yves Pigneur
- Solving Problems with Design Thinking: Ten Stories of What Works (Columbia Business School Publishing), by Jeanne Liedtka, Andrew King & Kevin Bennett
- The Opposable Mind, by Roger Martin
- Creative Confidence, by Tom & David Kelley
- VIDEO: Stanford’s Kelley Discusses ‘Design Thinking’, by Bloomberg TV, 2013
- Weird Ideas that Work, by Robert Sutton
- Design Thinking: Integrating Innovation, Customer Experience and Brand Value, by Thomas Lockwood
- The Innovation Expedition: A visual Toolkit to Start Innovation, by Gijs van Wulfen
- VIDEO: Innovation through Design Thinking by Tim Brown (IDEO) at MIT
- Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products, by Nir Eyal
- This Explains Everything: A Course on Human Behavior, Curated by Nir Eyal and Friends
- Tiny Habit, by BJ Fogg
- BJ Fogg’s Behavior Model, By BJ Fogg
- Persuasive Technology: Using Computers to Change What We Think and Do, BJ Fogg
- Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion , Dr. Robert Cialdini’s
- Learn Behavior Design, by David Ngo
- Wired to Care, by Dev Patnaik
- 100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter), by Susan Weinschenk
- 101 Design Methods: A Structured Approach for Driving Innovation in Your Organization, by Vijay
- Human-Centered Design Toolkit: An Open-Source Toolkit to Inspire New Solutions in the Developing World, by IDEO
- Universal Methods of Design: 100 Ways to Research Complex Proglems, Develop Innovative Ideas, and Design Effective Solutions, by Bella Martin and Bruce Hanington
- Gamestorming: A Playbook for Innovators, Rulebreakers, and Changemakers, by Dave Gray, Sunni Brown and James Macanufo
- IDEO Method Cards, by IDEO
Design in Education
- The Third Teacher: 79 Ways You Can Use Design to Transform Teaching and Learning by Cannon Design, VS Furniture and Bruce Mau Design